Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A reminder of Christmas


Last night at school I couldn't help but notice the bright moon. But on this particular night I stopped and spent time actually looking at it and noticed two very bright stars next to it. What I found odd was that there were only two stars in the entire sky. Someone next to me said "you know we won't see them for another 40 years." I asked what they were talking about and it turns out that those stars were actually the planets Jupiter and Venus. I will be 63 the next time I see them.
I have finished reading Job and am in Psalms now. This morning I read through Psalm 10, but found the 8th Psalm to really stand out. In it, David writes, "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?" This is how I felt last night watching planets that too were formed by the mere voice of God. David goes on to write about man, "Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor." This reminded me of what Paul wrote about Jesus when he said that he made himself lower than the angels to become born in the likeness of man. I think about the star that lead the wise men to Christ and realize that he can still use his stars to lead us closer to Him. I think about the fact that the creator of this entire thing actually answered our cry for help and came here and saved the world. I felt very small last night standing there, but I felt comforted in kowing that someone very big came here to rescue us, and He will do it again. Maybe He'll do it before I turn 63.
"O LORD how majestic is your name in all the earth!"

1 comment:

The Palmers said...

What day was that? That is so surreal. God is amazing!!